Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Goodbye My Dear Friend, My Phoenix


Just this weekend I learned that my dear friend, Phoenix, died this summer from complications of a massive stroke.  The last time I saw him was about two years ago.  He wasn't well. To tell you the truth, he never was.  The very first time I met him he was hobbling around on crutches with a broken toe.  Well, let me tell you, that was just the tip of the iceberg for poor Phoenix, a man whose body constantly betrayed him and his dreams.  Phoenix always had his music, though.  Always.


I was 23 when I met him.  He was, well, a lot older than me.  I suppose I needed that.  I know I did.  Thank you Phoenix, for holding my hand, and my heart,  helping me, and watching me grow.  Thank you for showing me how to make the best of myself.  Thank you for loving me, and thank you for letting me go.  


Play on, play on, my dear friend.  Now you will never be in pain.  
There is a comb inside my room
it sits inside a tiny box
and all the memories in that box
all the haves and the have-nots
and with this comb
i comb my hair
and look deep inside my face
to find a memory thats still there
in a different time and space
I love you all 
you're my friends
Sometimes I get to feel so sad
for things Ive said
and things Ive done
to look deep inside your soul
to try to find that special one
and with these words
I break my heart
and look deep
inside your eyes
to see if you are really warm
to see if you are really wise
I love you all
I love you all
I love you all
You're my friends.

1 comment:

lime said...

oh susie, just read this post and the one below...two significant loses so close together. i'm just so sorry. big hugs, lots of love and prayers for comfort and peace. i love you.