Thursday, October 06, 2005

Stuff Portrait Friday



This weeks assignment was about high school yearbooks, or the person that made your life hell, or the person that you still know.
I present to you, the person that I still know! This photo was taken in May 2005 of my very special friend, Steve. Seems that whenever we get together, it's at Disneyland!
It was my senior year in high school, in Composition 100, that I found this strapping young man sitting at the desk right behind me. From the moment I first laid eyes on Steve, dashing with his thick black curly hair, styled in a white boys afro so popular in the late 70's, in his yellow Yamaha motorcycle jacket, with that racy black and white stripe, and his Levi's cords, I knew I just had to have him!
Winter prom was soon approaching, and it was girls ask guys. I remember being really nervous the day I asked him to go with me, and he said. "yes".
That was to be our first date, which developed into a 3 year relationship, until in college, when we both thought we were too good for each other, and made the break.
But lets revisit that first date prom night, shall we? I remember being all nervous while waiting for him to pick me up. After all, not only was it my first prom, it was my first "real" date, and the first time I was really googly over any guy.
Strangely enough, my parents had made plans to go over to a friends house that night, and while the top of the television set boasted many photos of my sisters prom photos, the same for me was not meant to be. Ironically, it was prom night for their friends daughter, and my parents actually had taken photos of her when her date came to pick her up. They never got it how lame that was to me, but at least they didnt display her photos on top of the television.
So, since Steve came over and noone was home but me, we went back to his house, where I spent a fun time meeting his mom and sister. Then, we were off to dinner and the prom.
So, we are at this corner waiting to turn into the restaurant parking lot, when Steve makes this fancy illegal U-turn...just as a cop passes by....into the parking lot we sailed, with the cop following, lights blazing.
I giggled as Steve tried to talk the cop out of giving us a ticket, saying could he spare us, as it was our wedding night! (Hee hee, I was 16!) No such luck, ticket given.
Into the restaurant we went, where we were served by a buxom waitress in a low cut dress, accentuated when she leaned over to place the steak and lobster on our table. I couldn't help comparing my not yet developed 30AA self to her, and felt oddly inadequate. Dinner was delicious, but I was so nervous, trying not to spill a drop on my off-white, gunne sax dress!
After dinner, we went out to the car and realized, that in our post illegal U-turn ticket haze, Steve had locked the keys in the car. Now, anyone that has ever had a Trans-Am knows, it is nearly impossible to do the hanger into the window thing. So we had to go back into the restaurant and call his mom to bring the other set of keys. (Can you say auto club?)
Of course it was moms screaming yellow Trans Am, so she first had to find a ride to the restaurant to bring us the other keys. That took awhile. Seeing that we were waiting, the waitress asked us if we wanted to order drinks. Steve said, "Yes, we will have two waters, with ice." High school students budget, afterall!
Finally, Steves mom arrived with the keys. She had called Steve's best pal, who was out to dinner and she had to wait for him to come home. Remember, this was pre cell phone era.
Steve's pal wasted no time in teasing him mercilessly when he arrived with mom.
So, we finally got to the lovely Queen Mary, the venue for our prom. We immediately ran into my best friend, who assumed that our lateness meant that we were too busy making out in the car to bother to come to the prom at a decent time. Mind you, I was quite innocent, and there was no making out!
We were the last couple in the line to have our photos taken! We danced a few dances, we strolled around the regal ship, staring out over the ocean and the fancily lit oil rigs of Long Beach Harbor.
We stole a kiss or two in a hallway where the rooms were. How I wanted to get into one of those rooms with him and get to know him a little better!
Before we knew it, the prom had ended. Steve was going skiing the next morning, so there would be no hanging out on the beach all night with other prom goers. He drove me home.
In spite of all that chaos of our first date, we began a relationship after that night. Steve was my first love.
And, I still know him today. He is married, and has a lovely wife. We see each other about once every two years, and it is always fun! He and my husband get along splendidly! He will always be dear to my heart!
As for the people that drove me crazy in high school, you all know who you are....I am still cute, I am talented, witty, successful, happy, and you are a burned out old cheerleader or football player. I'm sure glad that I didn't peak at 17..... raspberries to you all!

4 comments:

Logophile said...

You go girl!!
I have seen your peaks, and baby, they are still going strong!!
roaw roaw!!

Stephanie said...

First of all, shame on your parents!! They should have been there for snappin tons of pictures!! Very cute story. But, um, where is your yearbook photo???

S said...

I graduated from high school in 1978......my yearbook is buried under 27 years of accumulated stuff! But I assure you, I was cute, although I looked like I was about 11 in my senior year of high school!

lime said...

too funny, toots! great story