Tuesday, July 04, 2006

These Garlands, the Blue Pirouette


Garlands is a lovely Tori song about two friends meeting in New York City to go to a Chagall exhibit. A lot of the lyrics are titles from Chagall lithographs such as the ones shown below. If I was a bit more techno, I'd have some sort of link here for you to go hear it, ack! Someone show me the way!.....anyway, Happy Tori Tuesday!


The Circus Marc Chagall


“The Winged Painter is on uptown” I said
“Will you meet me to go…”
Washington Square
I’m racing there
to get you at
Noon,
oh the Nocturne noon…
Isabella on the way there stops me
I say I can’t stay today
-I’m off in flight Towards Another Light.
Rest.
Youth.
Washington Square,
I meet you there and we go.
now He’s on the run
He’s on the run
From this walking Greeting Card
and Chloe’s Kiss, The Wolf Pit,
The Wine Harvest,
and Phileda’s Lesson
-We’re not his possession
in Winter,
Trampled flowers
in Winter
Lovers,
Circus,
these Garlands
-The Blue Pirouette,
The Marriage,
The Mimosas,
Black Sun Over Paris…
these Garlands
-The Little Swallow,
St. Paul from the window,
from the 1/2 open window.
Eve incurs God’s displeasure.
Passion.
Odysseus and Penelope,
Ulysses and Penelope,
The Festival,
In Hell.
in Winter,
The Winged Painter,The Winged Painter,
Washington Square
-Let’s go see a Day in May
from The Winged Painter


The Wine Harvest Marc Chagall


Garlands was released officially as a bonus DVD track on The Beekeeper Limited Edition. The song is set to exclusive content from Tori's book, Piece by Piece, including photographs and text on the DVD.
AmySVP asks: How do you choose the titles for your songs? In your book you were debating on Garlands and you chose Garlands in the end instead of Washington Square - any particular reason why?
TORI: I think that even though Washington Square is a point of place in the song, it didn't put it's arms around the song in a way that Garlands did. If you think of the word garlands as not just a collection of flowers, but a collection of paintings, ideas, and in this case it's a collection of Chagall lithographs.-- Tori; MSN Online Chat, Feb 22, 2005


Trampled Flowers

If you want to see more of the Chagall lithographs that Tori sings about in Garlands, check out this cool site!


Oh, I almost forgot! Be grateful for what ya got this fourth......

Peace!

6 comments:

WDKY said...

Enjoy the holiday, Susie. And try Castpost - it's dead easy, even I can do it.

lime said...

great chagall shots and interesting to find where they come from. oh, my tori patch arrived last night too! thanks:D happy july 4th!

Photocat said...

Chaio bella - Roma she is hot hot hot...we drip and smell but are having fun. Bambinas are happy we are off to tour a little despite being 31 deg C it feels so much hotter! Hugs KB

Photocat said...

Also those pictures are soooooooooooo great!

Stephanie said...

I love the pictures!!

And, I love my Tori Patch - it came in the mail yesterday! Thank you Susie Q!!

Happy 4th of July!!

LisaPizza said...

Susie, I love the Chagall's thanks for sharing them. Happy Independance day. SidewaysSam & I are just chillin' and groovin' to some tunes. Tonight we'll ride our bikes to the back bay and watch the fireworks. Thanks for your deft directions on creating a URL for my profile picture. You can see it worked just fine. We hope your holiday was all that it could be. Ciao for now...