Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ride the Tiger.......

Hope you will all enjoy more India pictures, all taken by Karen.
Yes! Yes! I did get to ride an elephant while in Mysore at the Maharaja's palace! If you biggy the pic, you can see how much fun we are all having. Even the men are smiling. Hey, it's not everyday that you get to ride an elephant with three handsome Indian men, isn't it?

Here I am in Hotel Hell...you remember that place in Agra, right? I won't tell you what I am doing because that would be rude....but this picture was taken in the moments of realizing that we were trapped in this filthy room for the night, and we were just goofing off, trying to make the best of the situation!

This is Rahul, who came from Kashmir and started a henna tattoo business in Delhi when he was 15. Now, he has about 10 employees working for him, that he has trained. His henna work is just fantastic, and while I sat there, people kept coming by for bookings for doing henna at weddings. Next year, Rahul, who is now 26, will marry his sweetheart, Monica. When I told him Monica is not an Indian name, he told me that there is a Bollywood song about a girl called Monica, and then he sang it for me. Too cute!

This man is making paint brushes, and was explaining to me the procedure. The picture was taken after I had the henna done, and had rubbed off most of the dried henna paste. You can see the designs are still very light on my hands and arms. The designs take a couple of hours to darken up. I know I havent shown the pictures of the finished designs yet.....working on getting those up here, but Karen has em still......oh and yes, if you are lucky, you can find an icey cold coke in Delhi, like I have! This one was a special treat, so cold that it had a slushy top. Delicious!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

13 comments:

lime said...

more fab pictures. that corner of the room doesn't look terribly disgusting but i'll take yourword for it. those mendhi were gorgeous. i would love to get some!

btw, go check the comments at my plac. is the anonymous one kish or mahesh?

Anonymous said...

Don't tell me...When he asked you what color you wanted, you repied..
'why Rahul, henna color will do"..
Have a great day Barefoot Mistress.

......Galen

RennyBA said...

You never stop amazing me with all your lovely experience from India - what a trip and how lovely to share all of it (well, almost then:-) with us!
Wishing you a lovely and relaxing weekend too:-)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could go there. Any place where I could have an elephant ride and an ice cold Coke on the same day is my kind of place. :)

Anonymous said...

Another great post with recent memories from India. I don't think I ever will get tired of all this bubbling, lively stories combined with excellent snaps.
Henna-painting is (or can be) a great art. My daughter got painted, together with the bride to be, the Day before the big wedding in Punjab. And as you said, it takes a while before the paint fastens. We had to sit up long into the Indian night, with all it's (for us) strange sounds.
Thanks for sharing once again your journey to India.
=^.^=

Anonymous said...

LOL@Mahesh... No, not Mahesh.. Anonymous is yours truly, Lime.. Sorry I didn't mention that in my comment...
Glad you remember my name.. :D

Anonymous said...

love your India trip pics.
tc

Anonymous said...

You have such a pretty , friendly smile! I love looking at all of you India pics, keep 'em coming! You have a good weekend too !

Anonymous said...

BAD WORDS
I wrote a really long comment and blogger ****ed with me about log in and ate it, gggggggggr
(making rude gestures)
love the pics, keep 'em coming.

Queenmatrai said...

You know Susie I love seeing India through your eyes :)

Makes me love India even more...

Noojes

Anonymous said...

Susie, take me with YOU NEXT TIME :(

oh and uh...you are so cute...now about that blog....

Anonymous said...

Great pics...I would love to ride on an elephant. How long did it take for the henna to be applied? What a delicate job and intricate as well!

;o)

Anonymous said...

angrayyyyyzzzeeeeeeee....!!! lol...!!!

pics are luvverly... ;) xxx