Saturday, November 03, 2007

Ok, so I have this pal in India....

......and it will be his birthday on the day we arrive. I don't know him very well but he lives here:
I think he is about 28-30ish. Vikram is single, unlike his brother who is married and has two children. To the children I will bring handmade blankets.

But here's the thing. What sort of gift does an American with access to just about anything give as a birthday present to a man who lives in prehistoric India?
I am serious, people, help me out here.

An interesting bit of tradition in the village that Vikram is from is that the women are often married at the age of 14. However, Vikram, unlike his brother, does NOT want to marry a 14 year old "woman." (Remember that place from last year, people, with the 28 year old grandmother, and the other 28 year old woman that I met with 10 daughters? Yes, that place.)


Any and all suggestions, silly or otherwise, for a very special gift for a man living in a very unique and lost world, will be considered. One idea I have is to bring him books, his English is not great, but pretty good, and I know reading will only make it better. The problem here is, which books? Certainly not my favorite author TC Boyle, no, he wouldn't get it at all. Poe? Too creepy? What do you think?

I do not have a picture of Vikram, but this is his mom and his niece, who by the way, looks very much like Vikram!

46India

11 comments:

lime said...

somethign handmade for vikram woudl also be lovely and very personal. but a book is also a good suggestion, somethign that transcends culture and is easy enough to read...lemme think on that.....

LisaPizza said...

Books make great gifts. You can't go wrong with a hallmark American author; Like Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn. Or Willa Cather's O Pioneers! I also enjoy giving poetry. I find anthologies of poetry written by contemporary authors and enjoy the vast variety of writers that they feature. I'm a big supported of my local library and prefer to give used books bought at the library store. The proceeds than help the library with their fund raising.

Queenie said...

What about a painting or picture, are you allowed to take any food stuff that they may not have tried?
I'm sure they will love whatever you take Susie.

Queenie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charles said...

Hey Susie,
How about a wind-up radio/light, for those times when there is no power? They can be purchased quite inexpensively these days, they don't require expensive batteries, but can be charged up by winding and the LED lights work for a good long time, if you don't use the radio at the same time. I have one for emergency use here, but it can be used outside without worrying about going to buy batteries and its actually kind of fun to play with it.

On a different note, I have created a new online tool to help writing the 55 FFs. It counts the words as you type or delete them, or paste them in. It's small, fairly fast and simple. Give it a try if you will, and let me know what you think, if you will please. You can read more about it at
Writing the 55 Flash Fiction

Commander Zaius said...

I agree with lisapizza about the choice. Mark Twain would comfortably say something good about America but not obnoxious and overbearing like much of our culture can be these days.

WDKY said...

"To the children I will bring handmade blankets..." Were you trying to sound biblical?

I have no idea about a present really, but how about writing a poem for him, and framing it nicely?

Anonymous said...

if its books youre gonna give him...well hey, come see the library man...!!! :P

i heartily recommend the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman...in fact, i'd recommend anyone and everyone to read them...!!! books that transcend religion, culture, time, space...!!!(^_^)

'prehistoric' India suse...??? this is the same India with the tiger economy that is steadily buying up steel companies and has some of the biggest IT infra-structures in the world now...??? :P :P yeehaw...!!!

cathy said...

I have given this matter careful thought and come up with...

... nothing of any use.Sorry.

Photocat said...

Beta - I am thinking he liked his brothers little ones - what about my favorite Green Eggs and Ham to read to them - maybe it would finally put a smile on his face! Sending some stuff for our India friends via Alice who is coming on Wed night and will be coming home on Monday - so excited for you guys beta - KB

Anonymous said...

aaaaahhhh ok ok ...if you're talking Hampi...well ok then...maybe...i never knew you spelt India H A M P I suse...!!!
lmao...!!! :P xxx