Saturday, September 23, 2006

So Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo!



I saw Richard Thompson play last night.
Now ok, you have to understand, he played in my town. There are only 7,000 people in this town. Richard Thompson has played for crowds larger than that!
Every year my town has this giant Celtic Festival. People come from all over the world to hear this music. But Richard Thompson! Whoa! Here's the funny thing...there were people at this concert who didnt even know who he was!!! OMG!!! EEK!
Anyway, I have been a fan of Richard Thompson for ...erm....20 years.....
There's nothing like seeing him live though! He's really into getting the audience to sing along with him, and that makes for just the most fun!
Today, I post this song for one of my favorite GF's, you know who you are!
Looks like Richard is your kind of man!


Hots for the Smarts!

I like a girl in satin who talks dirty in Latin
A girl who's flirty when she quotes Krishnamurti
If she likes to be goosed while researching for Proust
Then I'll know she's my kind of creature
Among her delectables, her intellectables
Must be her sexiest feature

I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts (please)
I've got the hots for the smarts

I want a girl from Mensa with a furrowed brow
When the tenses get denser, she gets it - and how!
I need a polymath called Cindy or Kath
Who likes her Plato not too platonic
An autodidact who can add and subtract
While sipping her Tolstoy and tonic

I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ right off the charts
Give me brains over hearts (I mean)
I've got the hots for the smarts

I want a girl with a feel (getting obscure here)
for Faraday's Wheel
A girl who'll drool for Fleming's Left Hand Rule

Some men like pin-ups of girls who do chin-ups
Like Xena The Warrior Princess
But I'll take to dinner my Nobel Prize winner
With plutonium stains down her dress

I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts

[Der Bingle-esque "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba"]
Give me brains over (you know the rest)
Got [garble] hots [garble]

I want a girl who knows loadsa Kierkegaard and Spinoza
A girl who plays chess humming "Porgy and Bess"
Now she must be able from her logarithmic table
To find all those decimal places
What do I care, she's nothing to wear
When her teeth are imprisoned in braces


I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts (ba-ba-ba-ba-ba)
I've got the hots for the s-- (there might be more)

I want a girl with a brain (goes on forEVER)
the size of Siberia
With a haughty disdain of all things inferior
Now I don't want some learner with a Bunsen burner
She must be the finished article
Who sees our attraction as a chemical reaction
And charm as merely a particle

I've got the hots for the smarts
Hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts (please)
I've got the hots for the s-- (could there be more?)

I want a Ph.D. who reads Linear B
Who applies her lotion with a Brownian motion
Now some men may favour a girl who's a raver,
A tease, or a saucy young minx
But I'll get undressed with the girl I'm impressed with
Who's tunneling under the Sphinx

I've got the hots for the smarts
The hots for the smarts
IQ off the charts
Give me brains over hearts (oh please)
I've got the hots for the smarts (I mean)
I've got the hots for the smarts



How could I NOT think of you? Even Mr Ratburn elbowed me in the middle of the song and whispered, " (insert your name)....!" We got a good giggle out of that....
He also performed a few tunes from my favourite RT release, Rumour and Sigh:

1952 Vincent Black Lightening (come to think of it, this song is about motorcycles and redheads.....hmnnn...)
Misunderstood
Jimmy Shands

Feels SO Good

What a great show!

12 comments:

Semi-Gloss Lacquer said...

AH...
Vincent Black Lightening, and MGBGT have got to be two of the coolest 'non rock' rock songs ever done....
-His wife lost her voice for quite a while, and has, in recent years performed again, with their son (singing Richards parts, has a very similar voice,) beautiful stuff...
-If you get the chance... (you have to know Cockburn already,) but check out Bill Mallonee aka Vigliantes of Love... -also plays intimate gigs and will blow you away...

...ain't nothing in the whole wide world like a vincent black lightening and a red haired girl...' (yessir.)

Anonymous said...

Wow... you really are just a small town girl, aren't you Susie?

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a night or three in that town of yours!

RennyBA said...

Richard Thompson! That sounds like some cool festival! I just love outdoor music in the summer time, I once followed Bob Marley on tour in Norway and Denmark! Glad you had fun and I wish you a great end to your week:-)

SJ said...

I feel so good I'm gonna break somebody's heart tonight

Logophile said...

Awwwwww
Susie, you and Ratburn are the coolest.
I think I like it.

Anonymous said...

Oh the serendipity.

Just today, I was listening to a collection of his hits from Capitol. I had just stepped into the shower when "I Misunderstood" started to skip. That's what I get for borrowing it from the library instead of buying it new.

I saw him in concert quite a while ago and that show is still one of my musical highlights.

Beautiful stuff.

Fred said...

Never heard of him. I guess I have my head buried in the sand.

DaMasta said...

I've never heard of him, but he does look rather familiar.. glad you guys had a good time, sweetie :) Picks of celebs (however famous they may/may not be) are my favorite! :P

lime said...

yep, hadda be logo for sure..

Stephanie said...

No idea who this guy is but I'm glad you got to see him.

You had no posts for a few days, then I came and hit frefresh and look -- posts from the last few days. Blogger is mean.

G said...

One of my favorite songs (I think I have to hear it now) is Richard and Linda Thompson's "A Heart Needs a Home" - beautiful. Also like their son, Teddy's music. Very nice.

Unknown said...

Going to see Richard T on 25th Jan in Milton Keynes, UK. Been a fan for ages 4th time i've seen him but the reviews of the current tour sound great