Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A Trip To Rikhi Ram Music


Here I am with my friend Sanjay Rikhi Ram, who is the owner of Rikhi Ram Music in Delhi.
I met him and bought a tabla set in 2004. Sanjay runs the shop, and now makes all the instruments in this family run business well known in Delhi for three generations. He makes sitars for Ravi Shankar, Anoushka Shankar, and The Midaevil Punditz are his pals and come over often to jam in his shop, and purchase tablas that have been specially made for them. Apparently, I had just missed them, as there were freshly autographed copies of their latest c/d inside the glass counter.
In the photograph, we are discussing this very special travel sitar that Sanjay designed for professional musicians. It is also a good sitar choice for people that cannot sit cross legged on the floor, or have limited space for keeping a regular gourd backed sitar. The travel sitar is crafted from red cedar and not a gourd, making it much smaller, flatter and sturdier than a gourd sitar.
This man can play the tablas, guitar, sitar, sooranghi, harmonium, and a slew of other Indian instruments that I cannot pronounce. I always get a free concert when I visit Sanjay!

So, do I look nervous in that picture? I should be because I am about to part with 835. US dollars! It's ok, someone was very happy when I got home....



Namaste

By the way, this is my 405th post! WOW!

12 comments:

Sidewaysagain said...

Nice ax! Does Ratburn play? I'll have to start referring to him as George, Hari, or the Quiet One.

Thanks for the promo. And you're right, I am a part-time blogger. But I do like to visit when I have the time. I'll have to check out some of the others you featured.

Thanks for sharing. -SSS

Logophile said...

Wow Suse, that is so cool.
Mr. Ratburn looks pleased with his gift too, you love him, you really love him!!

jillie said...

What a beautiful instrument. I never really heard the sitar until I watched the DVD Concert for George and I tell ya...what an amazing instrument!

You did good Susie ;o) I can tell by Mr. Rathburn's perma grin.

Blissfully Wed said...

Your pictures are unmistakably blissful.

Inspired by your post, I am now listening to some Ravi Shankar. Beautiful.

Thanks for making me smile.

~Him

DaMasta said...

Cool! A sittar! Does it tell the truth like the one in Moulin Rouge? ;) I rememeber that distinctly because the sittar was played by T'louse who was played by John Leguizamo, my most fav little actor in ze world.. I love his hilarious little accents. Anyways, you made my day by making me think of him. hehee :)

Bsoholic said...

Sweet!

Didn't the Beatles play one in some of their later songs, or am I just crazy?

lime said...

what a special gift! ratburn looks so happy. does he serenade you?

CozyMama said...

coolness.........today is a great day!!! woohoo for me.

Stealth said...

awwww!!!! You are so sweet..that is awesome!

Kelly said...

I practically grew up in my friends Dad's music shop! What fun.

Gary said...

Just think of as an investment.

By the way, I love Indian music. Even the singing.

G-Man said...

Susie, this story brings back lots of great memories. I was at a George Harrison concert in 1975 at Olympia stadium in Detroit. Ravi Shankar opened for him and he blew the house away. My then future wife had to hurl, and couldn't make it to the john, so she ralphed under the staircase. While "My Sweet Lord" was playing in the background!
And Olympia is no longer there...Thanks....Galen