Sunday, September 25, 2005

A Catty Moment


I was driving into town today when I saw a sign for "indian imports sale"...being an Indiaphile myself, I took the detour....there I found a young woman having a little garage sale featuring Indian hippie wear, jewelry and masks. We chatted about India, and she had been there 6 months, etc.
I have to admit, while chatting her up, pretending to be interested in her stuff, which of course you all know that I can get in India myself so why would I be nuts enough to pay 60 for a silk wrap skirt that probably cost her 40 rupees....($1.00)....I was actually just checking out the competition.
I told her about my thing...and that I make custom clothing out of Indian textiles and sarees. We talked about shipping, how outrageous it is....etc....then she asked me if I would do some sewing for her of some dress designs she has in mind. I said, "so, you have some textiles too? Can I see them?" She told me that she had two sarees...she also told me she was "flat broke".
Anyway, I told her that I really couldnt sew for her since I am her competition.
At that point, she got all huffy with me......and walked away. Hey, I was being really nice, and I thought we were enjoying talking about India and all that.......but you tell me, how could I work for a woman that is "flat broke", and only has two sarees to work with? Sheesh! Besides, she was half my age, and really cute, and got to go to India for six months when I can only go for three weeks at a time, so why would I want to help her? Meeyooowwwwww!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have this gorgeous deep ruby fabric I want to use to recover my livingroom set & was thinking of getting some sarees as window treatments. Have any decorating tips for me? Would love the input!

Logophile said...

sic 'er!

S said...

When I was in India this time, Snav, I got two maroon sarees for my neighbor, and she just draped them around the curtain rods, leaving the palluu, (thats the decorative part at the end) hanging down on opposite sides. It looks terrific!

Bsoholic said...

How dare she!

Logophile said...

Hey barefoot,
next time, don't get catty, just dog her ass!
"So...what was your plan then, paying in labor? Sexual favors? What exactly did you want me to make you with only two sarees? Are you sure you have any idea what you are doing?"

lime said...

so the brat got her sari in a knot, did she? i've got sari panels for the sliding doors in my dining room. wanted to get matching bits to use as valances for the living room windows since the two rooms are adjoined, can't find them now.