Monday, November 07, 2005

It's All About Me, So Deal With It!

I lived in Venice Beach, CA for 12 years!



When I was 18, an older, hip friend of mine took me from out behind the Orange Curtain, to visit Venice Beach for the day. I'll never forget it! The skaters, the pizza, the artwork, the street musicians, the ocean breezes! Smoking a joint on the sand with topless women at the "gay part of the beach", dancing at the drum circle, watching hundreds of colorful people stroll by...I knew that I'd be back!

When I was 19, I moved to Venice. I found this tiny little converted house that was once someone's sunroom....and I took it right away. The rent was just 265. a month, about 12 houses up from the beach. I couldn't resist!

Venice was the perfect place for me! Hours were spent sitting on the sand, strolling on the boardwalk, riding my bike around, hanging out with my street musician buddies..smoking alot of herb....and dancing. In Venice, I learned to let my spirit run free!

I lived there until I was 31, when Mr Ratburn and I felt the need to live in a quieter community. (Mr Ratburn also lived in Venice Beach, but, we met in Ventura at a Grateful Dead Show! Are you suprised? "course not!)

I will always love Venice, and I visit there about twice a year.
If you have never been to Venice, I highly recommend it. It's a lot of fun!


8 comments:

Drywall Mom said...

I have never been to Venice Beach but it sounds like alot of fun. When I get around to going to California, I'll have to visit it.

Stephanie said...

I have never been to the west coast. Will you show me Cali? Nice post - lol at the herb!

lime said...

sounds like a great place! loved CA when i visited. hoep to make it back again.

Bsoholic said...

Never been to California. I'd love to check it out one day though.

Logophile said...

After you come see me, I will come see you, and you can take me to the beach and show me the sights,
deal?

Pirate said...

no bettger place for hippies like me to hang. i'm ready to move there today or maybe tomorrow.

Bsoholic said...

I sure am looking forward to 'Tori Tuesday'... wonder what tomarrow holds in store for us? :D

Perdante said...

That's so funny..i love venice so much , thinkin it would be awesome to live there ...crazy stylee