Monday, October 24, 2005

ME ME MONDAY!

It's all about me, so deal with it!















I lived on Kodiak Island for three years when I was in elementary school.

Kodiak Island is famous for huge Kodiak brown bears, world-class sport fishing, one of the largest commercial fishing ports in the nation, and the magnificent green that the island turns during the summer--which is why Kodiak is affectionately called Alaska's Emerald Isle.

Alaska king crab fishing is considered to be one of the most dangerous jobs in North America. Every year, hundreds of fearless crab fishermen endure extreme weather conditions and harsh work environments with assertive hopes of catching excessive amounts of the most desirable seafood in the world- King crab! Bristol Bay is the primary area where crab fishing occurs, with the small town of Dutch Harbor being the main hub of activity. King crab is also caught in Norton Sound, around the Pribilof Islands, along the Aleutian Chain, and a small amount off the coast of Alaska's southern pan-handle.

It is in solitude that we discover that being is more important than having, and that we are worth more than the results of our efforts. In solitude we discover that our life is not a possession to be defended, but a gift to be shared. –William Faulkner

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very cool pictures! LOL - I watched a documetary about Alaskan King Crab fishing - DAMN!!

Happy Monday!!

And, pretty much, my mom's B-day is next Tuesday!

Logophile said...

Oooooooh, pretty pretty!
Such an informative post too!
I love the king crab, so good.

Robin said...

Wow...those photos ARE cool -- snav is right. I had no idea that Alaskan King Crab fishing could be so dangerous though. If I weren't already a vegetarian, I'd definitely stop eating King Crab.
Love the blog! Happy Me-Me Monday!

lime said...

gorgeous pictures an dwhat a great quote to go with it. thanks for taking me to alaska!

Roadkil said...

I have always wanted to go there some day it is one of the few 50 I have not yet gotten to.

Leesa said...

Very cool. Great photos too!

Thomcat said...

kodiak island is beautiful ... i'm glad i had a chance to visit it , but i never knew that you lived there ... cool stuff !

S said...

hi Im susies daughter hiiiii dont
you think that bear is cute?
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well bye. ; ) ; ]